Sunday, January 4, 2009

Why Aricia

J. M. W. Turner's painting of the Golden Bough. Lake Nemi is in the background.

Well, I just made this my first blog, and when it asked what the title should be, I thought this one up, because after all I was going to call myself Nemi. So, if you don't know about the woodland lake of Nemi in Aricia, and about Frazer and his Golden Bough, you might just want to take a peep here, for instance:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Golden_Bough

Its weird stuff, arguably, but its to do with the essence of who we are, and moreover its to do with the essence of who I am, the kind of things I like involving myself with, so don't miss it if, for better for worse, you have half a mind to tune in to me...

BTW, please don't be put off by the 'magic' and 'religion' - this has verily been called the first book of modern anthropology. I'd say its part of our richest intellectual legacies. I read it in my adolescence, and it left its lasting mark on how I see the World and the Times.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers

Add to Technorati Favorites